Purchasing guidelines for coffee makers and other food and drink vending machines
Many water coolers and food and drink vending machines which supply coffee, soft drinks and sweets have very high energy consumption.
Purchasing requirements for coffee makers
Coffee makers must have an active sleep function which should be activated on delivery. Instructions for activating the sleep function should be displayed near the machine.
Good advice on purchasing and operating equipment
- Ask the supplier about the energy consumption of food and drink vending machines before signing a contract, and consider whether there are alternative solutions with lower energy consumption.
- Whenever possible, only install food and drink vending machines with a sleep function which is activated if the vending machine has not been used for a set time. Check whether there is an active standby function on existing machines.
- Whenever possible, only install soft drink vending machines that conform to Energy Star specifications.
- Consider whether it is possible to install a tap water flow cooler for drinking water instead of a bottled water cooler.
- Meter the energy used by existing vending machines.
- Install clock timers or other types of automatic controllers on food and drink vending machines which do not have a sleep function. However, this should only apply to vending machines that dispense non-perishable products.
Rapporten ”Energiforbrug af kølede automater”. Teknologisk Institut. December 2005 (updated September 2006). (in Danish)
Changes in relation to the 2007 specifications
There are no changes in relation to the 2007 specifications.