Check the power consumption of VCRs, DVDs and hard drive recorders
Look at the typical power used by VCRs, DVDs and hard drive recorders and check the power consumption when buying new equipment.
Check power consumption
Ask about the power used in both the on and standby modes, and choose one with the lowest consumption. Standby consumption should not exceed 2 watts. Check that recorders default to standby after a period of non-activity.
Typical power consumption for recorders
- VCRs: circa 50 watts
- VCR and DVD player or recorder: circa 50 watts
- DVD player and recorder: circa 30 watts
- DVD and hard drive recorder: 23-33 watts
- Standby consumption for older VCRs: 10-12 watts
- Standby consumption for newer DVDs and hard drive recorders: 1-7 watts
See results of the National Consumer Agency’s TÆNK tests of 14 DVD and hard drive recorders under ‘Facts and figures’.